So since I have moved into my new studio, I kind of hit the ground running. So I have been able to post much, so here are few images of projects I have been working one. The first project is repair job I did for a client. I had to take apart the text block, mend some pages, then sew the text block back together. The re-backed it with new boards and a leather spine.
The second project which I just finished, was making paper boxes for a print artist name Adriane Herman. I made 38 paper boxes to store and ship a group print project she has been working on.
I picked up this document last November at the Boston book show. Its shows the taxes for towns of Massachusetts which includes towns Maine as well. The Tax Pamphlet was printed in Boston at the State Press by Adams and Larkin. My friend Mark from Dunstan Press in Scarborough made the title plate for me.
So this Christmas my wife and I gave her sister Downton Abbey Clue season 2. I am just excited on how well this came out, I really wanted to post images of it. . I think our favorite weapon we made was the spanish flu. [gallery ids="1529,1524,1525,1527,1528,1526"]
I Picked up some books to use as re-binding projects which I am planning on doing this up coming winter. Below are two of the books I recently picked up.[gallery link="file" order="DESC" columns="4"]
History Of Faction a recent text block I picked up, I had to re-backed it and make a new case for it. I also on-laid a title to the spine of the book. [gallery link="file" order="DESC" columns="2"]
I picked up two sermons by Jonathan Edward, I ended up mended some of the pages then rebinding them. These sermons are from 1780 printed by Hudson and Goodwin Hartford Ct. [gallery link="file" order="DESC"]
Some of the projects I am hoping to have finished for this holiday season. If every thing goes right I might have some of my work for sale up in Freeport Maine.[gallery link="file" order="DESC" columns="2"]
This is the latest project, I just finished. The book is a old New England primer printed in 1812 in New Haven Connecticut. when I received the book it didn't have any covers as well it was re-sewn very poorly. I washed the pages in hopes to clean them then mended the signatures back together before rebinding the book. [gallery link="file" order="DESC" columns="2"]
This book I was really interested in working on because it was printed in Springfield Mass, which is near my home town.
This is a before and after of the covers.
After taking the book apart I cleaned the pages, with warm distilled water.
After the pages where dry, I used japanese pages to mend and repair the pages.
Once the text block was sown together I added the covers. I was able to lift the original covers off the old boards. This time I inlayed the old covers into the new cover.
The Finished product
Re-back old vermont history book. I was able to save the spine so I on-laid old spine. I created a slip case then on laid a print out of an old map of vermont.[gallery link="file"]
A Spanish hymnal, Published in London in 1707 . A restoration job turns into a conservation job.
Couldn't remove the spine because the leather was so old it came off wax.
Measuring the joint for the covers, it started as a German tight back, but as the project went on it had to change.